Favorite Lyric Quotes

  • "I could rage like a fire and you'd bring rain I desire" 'Morningside' by Sara Bareilles

Sunday, August 8, 2010

I Have M.E.

Recently, in the past couple of weeks to be exact, a horrifying realization has taken up residence in forefront of my mind and has begun reeking havoc on my life. This realization was that I have a life threatening disease. It's very contagious and almost everyone has it. It has infested most of America. It destroys lives. It is a part of me and I've had it my whole life. You could say I was born into it. It's called the ME Disease. Or at least, that's what I call it. I'm sick. You see, I gave up my life for the one who gave up his to rescue me. He's the cure. But I'm refusing treatment. I told him that I graciously accepted his sacrifice of love so that I could be free. I told him that. As it turns out, I've been walking around blindly clutching onto my condemned spirit. He offered, I accepted, but the exchange is compromised every day. I feed my flesh to it's hearts content while starving my spirit of nutrients. Can anyone else see how backwards America is? We've fallen deep into the rabbit hole and accepted a reality that isn't realistic. Me, me, me & me. This is what life's about. ME ME ME! GIMMIE MORE! Disgusting.
I'm a Christian. But that's like a Fast Food Worker calling herself a Neurosurgeon. I feed people crap. Sure it satisfies their hunger for a moment. But it also clogs their arteries and adds more layers of fat to their bodies. If I were doing that and calling myself a Neurosurgeon, claiming to change the lives and minds and overall health of people- they'd think I was insane! No question, right? Then why is it we can call ourselves Christians and only feast on the crap of this world and make a 1% effort in fulfilling our said cause? Do we feed the hungry and cloth the poor? Do we go and make disciples of all nations? Do we take up our cross and follow Jesus? Do we love our God with all our heart, soul and mind? Do we focus on the fruits of the spirit. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control? Can those things exist if we're focused on gratifying ourselves? And these things can't happen within the period of a week on a mission trip or church camp or retreat. It needs to be a lifestyle. This touch and go Christianity is damaging our world.
We're sick! We love our things and money and image. To hell with the Spirit. Literally. This is what's being compromised. Eternity! How have we gotten so far away from the truth? When God says to give up everything and follow him, has anyone noticed how we talk ourselves into believing there are stipulations to this? Has anyone noticed these 'stipulations' don't add up with God's word or mission? Stipulations like, 'Well, God doesn't actually want me to give my television and game system and food and clothes and car and furniture.' Tell me, what is it you live for? What do you spend your time doing? What do you go to work to earn money for? What do you long and aspire for? If 'more' was any part of your answer.... We are hoarders! America the great! We are so lost. I'm rooted to myself. This is not good. I want to be healed. I want to live in the spirit and not in the flesh. I know the answer. I know it because God says it again and again. I don't want to run anymore. I don't want to hide behind temporary meaningless things. Let go. Let go of yourself and your life. We need to focus on other people. Be done with the 'American Dream'. It has deceived us. Live your life in love and service to others. Show them what true love looks like. Not if you scratch my back kind of service either. Let go of the things you can't take with you to the grave. Work on what matters. Family and Friends and Strangers and Enemies. We could change the world if we would just let go of ourselves.
I'm going in for treatment. I want to be rid of this cancer. And yes, I might loose parts of me I thought were important and necessary. But when your life is on the line, you start to really see the difference between want and need. We don't need much. If you call yourself a Christian, then rise up. Awaken from this cultural fog and move closer to the one who gave EVERYTHING for our souls. We weren't meant for trivialities. We were made extraordinary to do the extraordinary. So turn off the TV and Computer. Please take an honest look at your existence through God's eyes only. The only eyes that matter. I pray that God reveals himself to you and to me. Take action! Do it! Don't just imagine it. We are capable of change. We were made to move mountains at the side of God. America is not our home. We live by a different set of rules. I'm sick. I don't want to do this alone. But I don't know a single person, not one, who has done this. Everyone is going to look at me like I'm nuts. Or a radical. I don't know if I can do it. I care about my image. I care about what you think of me. I fear my harsh bluntness will be judged harshly and it will effect your view of me. I'm human. I direct this as much to myself as any Christian who feels what I feel. Something is off in our culture. My spirit wants to rebel and I've hushed it too often. I'm hungry though. I'm hungry through my complacency and laziness. And I know that's a good sign because my God is chasing after me still.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled"-Matthew 5:6

"What we feel, think, and do this moment influences both our present and the future in ways we may never know. Begin. Start right where you are. Consider your possibilities and find inspiration...to add more meaning and zest to your life." -Alexandra Stoddard

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24

No comments:

Post a Comment